Celluloid Charms

Celluloid Charms

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Celluloid Charms: Advertizing Forks

Over the years I've learned so much about celluloid charms and the very reason for their existence. I've talked with people who are in the twilight of their life who shared their stories with me. One woman said her dentist used to give them out after every appointment. Another said that they used to be attached to the lobby cards when they attended a movie. A man who sold me his wife's collection said that when she was a very little girl, her father took her on a daddy daughter date every Sunday and he would buy her a charm (the husband didn't know where they bought them). She collected them and loved them, he passed away when she was around 8 I think and she treasured those charms and continued to collect them. Then there are all the more obvious ways charms were used in advertizing, on bread loaf ties, on liquor bottles, political campaign tokens, on wooden forks as in this pic, etc.

These are not mine, I just thought they were cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment